Thursday, May 11, 2006

Dandelions

I got to spend a whole day with the kids of the neighborhood today. It was the most fantastic day and it put so much into perspective. I never thought that making braclets out of dandelions would ever change things as much as it did.

I got to read stories, chase kids, be a human jungle gym, cuddle kids and laugh. It makes me cry to think about how special that time was, and how much each one of those kids mean to me! I love them so much.

It reminded me why I do what I do. Once again I found myself in a position where I needed that reminder, and once again God in His faithfulness provided. But it was so much more than that. I realized the extent of my selfishness. My desire to go home, my desire to have things my way completely distracted me of the one thing that will make me the most happy- realizing that it is NOT ABOUT ME.

I want to make a difference here, for those kids who are so desperate for someone to listen to them. I want to make a difference even if it means that I spend the rest of my life hugging children in a foreign country away from everyone I know and love.

I keep thinking that if the opporunity to go home early and never come back came that I would go for it and move on. But yesterday reminded me that I wouldnt trade my time here with these kids for anything. I have so much to learn from them.

No comments: